Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Tomato Predators

Although this post follows a delicious recipe and what I have to say and show is certainly NOT delicious, it just happens to be how gardening works. You have to be diligent in caring for your plants! Unfortunately, I found a true predator yesterday.....only the second time in many, many years. Let me introduce you the Tomato Hornworm.


It is the most vile yet interesting garden creature. It grabs the stalk from underneath and proceeds to chew, chew, chew! I noticed that one plant was looking a little sad and then it dawned on me to look closer. Sure enough I found the little bugger. I broke off the stem because this thing is scary and watched and photographed it. It had huge droppings and I could actually HEAR it munching! It makes me shiver....


Is that an eye???? Complete yuck. It can kill a plant so quickly too. I researched quite a bit and found this site about tomato care. There are other sites that helped me identify this monster as well. Initially I called it a tomato cutworm. Very similar and possibly one in the same depending on the source. Watch your plants for the signs of this devastation!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment