Sunday, January 29, 2012

Seaglass Sunday!

My passion for seaglass is finally something I can share. Not just here in thoughts and photos but as wearable art! Mother Nature has taken her time sculpting and smoothing beautiful old glass into these gems and now, after years of saying I would make jewelry of some sort, I have found my time.


First, the space needed to be cleared. My old basement playroom filled over the years with "stuff" took 4 dump runs, a trip to goodwill and a sore back to uncover a corner to set up my new professional drill! I was so excited but also a little nervous to try drilling the first piece.


Success!!!! I watched youtube demonstrations, read any and every web page about how to drill glass, specifically seaglass and took a big gulp. GULPPPPPP. After the first piece I assumed it was beginner's luck but the second piece went smoothly too. I hope I am not jinxing myself now.


I actually had a bag of bails since I had asked another local etsy jeweler to drill a piece for me about a year ago. I wore that piece whenever I needed to remind myself I could do this too! Now I have finally replaced that piece with one of my own and I will wear it with another gem or tiny starfish charm.


The next piece I will drill will be the lavender one I found today on a very cold walk! I hadn't found any purple for what seemed like ages. I really, really hope the drilling is successful since purple is my favorite seaglass color. I felt it was a sign that I was moving in the right direction.


Now I can also finally use the business card I designed for myself a few years back. Obviously, this was something that was in the cards for me..... I just needed to be dealt the right hand!

3 comments: