Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A Silvertip Christmas

For many, many years I have wondered where to get an old-fashioned Christmas tree. You know, the ones that people dub as "Charlie Brown trees" and have very few branches? I am not talking about a wispy twig found in the woods or a tree that is edited, with branches trimmed out. No, this special tree would be one of movie star status, one that we see in the movies of old...


Here in the movie "The Bishop's Wife" with Loretta Young, Cary Grant, and David Niven we see THE TREE! That's it!!! That's the one I want! Loretta buys the tree in the first scene and it is decorated in a "heavenly" fashion by Cary Grant. 

And this year I found it.


I was surrounded by my trees in fact! It was hard to contain myself at times working in the nursery at terrain. Here I had a good week or two to choose my tree and take it home before they sold out. Seems other people liked these "designer" trees as well, although I still thought of them as just old fashioned and nostalgic.


The California Red Fir, commonly referred to as a "Silvertip", grows on the high mountains of northern California and southern Oregon. Hollywood prop departments of old most likely chose the trees that were readily available and used them in our favorite Christmas classics.



After taking great care of my tree for 2 weeks outside, the day finally arrived to bring "her" in. She was placed in a spot of honor after moving a few pieces of furniture. This living room is also "old fashioned" and not the sprawling family room that most people call home for their Christmas trees!
The starfish topper was one I made a few years back using three stars (3 wise men?), a twig and some red berries. It fits my beachy home decor perfectly and it was the first adornment added to my Silvertip lady.


With just the lights, she is becoming a beauty...


and she sparkles with the addition of ornaments! Mercury glass ornaments collected over the past 3 years, some old glass favorites, a bit of rust with some found bell bargains, glass icicles and some button garland...presenting, my lady the movie star.





Reflections from the lights bounce of the glass while the rusty bell ornaments and button garland add a bit of antiquity...along with a burlap tree skirt awaiting the gifts to come.


And now we wait and welcome this magical holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment